Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to install wintousb on Chaletos 16

4 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How to install wintousb on Chaletos 16 - Page 3 Empty Re: How to install wintousb on Chaletos 16

Post by Dai_trying Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:40 am

if you are certain that the device is /dev/sdc the command would be
Code:
sudo cp /home/cevin/Downloads/en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_620851.iso /dev/sdc; sync
the sync command at the end isn't absolutely necessary but I always use it for good measure.
I have only used this on one windows iso and that was a home made Vista iso, but it should be ok. if it doesn't work you could try James's dd command.
Dai_trying
Dai_trying

Back to top Go down

How to install wintousb on Chaletos 16 - Page 3 Empty Re: How to install wintousb on Chaletos 16

Post by Dai_trying Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:44 am

Out of curiosity did you try the USB Image Writer that is included with the distro? it might be easier if you are not familiar with the command line.
Dai_trying
Dai_trying

Back to top Go down

Post by ooseven Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:47 am

Dai_trying wrote:Out of curiosity did you try the USB Image Writer that is included with the distro? it might be easier if you are not familiar with the command line.

Yep just tried. I'm trying a older version of unetbootin see how that goes.
Even if it works I will try your way.

Be Back
ooseven
ooseven

Back to top Go down

Post by ooseven Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:31 am

Disk /dev/sdc: 7.5 GiB, 8004304896 bytes, 15633408 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x5d42504c
ooseven
ooseven

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:06 am

you said your inet is regular charter which makes it seem odd to me because any such errors I have encountered are SSL certificate problems. Maybe it would be an interesting idea to go to dunkin doughnuts or mc donalds etc and try a different network?
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ooseven Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:27 am

James Tobin wrote:you said your inet is regular charter which makes it seem odd to me because any such errors I have encountered are SSL certificate problems. Maybe it would be an interesting idea to go to dunkin doughnuts or mc donalds etc and try a different network?

I would think so, but when I use chaletos or any other buntu 14.4 iso every thing works just
fine. That is why I think it is the 16.4 iso cas none of the buntu will work with what I need.
ooseven
ooseven

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:35 am

Yes, that means there must be a problem with your installation, although I'd try another network just to make sure.
James Tobin
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai_trying Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:50 am

Just checking that you read this post :-
Dai_trying wrote:I would guess this is the problem
Code:
Err:13 http://ppa.launchpad.net/colingille/freshlight/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
404 Not Found
snip...
EDIT:
I just had a quick look on launchpad and I can't see any packages for "xenial" so I figure that is the issue.

Maybe you could contact the developer to see if they intend to package a version for ubuntu xenial (what ChaletOs is based on)
Dai_trying
Dai_trying

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:45 am

sorry I didnt notice that, that seems to point to outdated repo information.
James Tobin
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by ooseven Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:15 pm

I use to use unetbootin and it worked great.
But that even does not work, but it
works on chaletos 14.4.
ooseven
ooseven

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:38 pm

really? I have it working on my chalet os.

But I usually use dd in terminal.

place the iso image in a folder and maybe give it an easy name for an easy life Smile then open folder in terminal and just run
Code:
dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/sdx
James Tobin
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by ooseven Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:08 am

I'll try that.
I even tried sudo cp /home/cevin/Downloads/en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_620851.iso /dev/sdc; sync and it reacts but nothing comes to it.
Well it takes the partition out.

Plus to let you know I'm using the same usb on both 14 and 16. It works on 14 but not 16. It puts the folders
in the usb but keeps coming up with missing boot I believe it is says. The next time I will right down what it says.
ooseven
ooseven

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai_trying Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:16 am

I guess the windows 7 iso isn't a hybrid iso, if that is the case dd might not work either... but still worth trying.
Have you thought about running a minimum install of windows in a virtualbox? I use a program called rufus for wiping usb's and it's not available for linux so I run installed a legal copy of Xp Sp3 into a virtualbox and set it without networking and I solely use it for rufus and iTunes (wish I hadn't gone for iPhone). It loads in about 30seconds which is quicker than loading PyCharm!
Another alternative could be using wine to run a windows app, although I'm not sure how it would handle linux hardware writing.
Dai_trying
Dai_trying

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:02 pm

ooseven wrote:I do believe it's the debian side that's doing the problem.
I always had the same problems with Debian.

While chalet os is partially debian it's barely debian. It's more Ubuntu than debain. I've found by using kali on another machine that debian is pretty different! lol

Both bases however use apt as well as the DEB package manager so that could be the problem. Not sure. Possibly contact the software developer (wintousb) at this point.
James Tobin
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3