Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How I made ChaletOS

+5
Skynet
DejanPetrovic
mister.no
favre
BroDan
9 posters

Go down

How I made ChaletOS Empty How I made ChaletOS

Post by DejanPetrovic Thu May 07, 2015 2:23 am

How I made ChaletOS Laptop-main_1

I'll start with a story how I got the idea to do this OS. The last four-five years I have made my own versions of existing distribution. The reason for this was always to make one ISO with everything inside that I need for installation and I needed to express my creativity in this field.

Doing this I felt that I am not completely satisfied with other distributions. This refers to the appearance, speed, simplicity, and more. Each had a slightly everything but not all in one. It is caused to that that I made make several different versions of 'my' Linux re-spin. One for each graphical environment. But in the end, I was not satisfied with this solution.

With all this, I had friends who have tried to use Linux but they have always returned to Windows. There was so much new stuff in Linux, and what they already know, it was not where they expected. To that problem we can add, that they didn't had newest computers.

I never liked too much Windows although because of work I have to use it. I do not like to see clones of Windows nether. No more than the just screenshot. Especially since Linux has such 'width' that is a little embarrassing that sometime we see when Linux mirror such limited system like Windows. On the other hand, I have to admit that Windows logic has its place. Launcher menu, panel with running programs and system tray and at the end, the desktop with icons. In addition, the one place where you can set the whole system (Control Panel). As much as I'm not big fan of Windows, this logic was good.
However, the problem is posed that whenever I took Linux and tried to adapt it to these needs, no one was good enough:
One need too much RAM, a other had too many settings and thus lost the simplicity. And the other had all this but it was ugly and inflexible. Even XFCE was not so good in previous versions, but when came out 14:04... This was drop of hope.

I took Xubuntu because it is a derivative of Ubuntu and it is always good choice because of the number of programs it supports. I was playing with it with a goal to make something for myself and for my friends. For hours I sat there trying to figure out the logic behind the various parts of the system. It was a real challenge because I have a lot of responsibility in private life, so that this hobby was on the edge of becoming an obsession. At the end something nice was born.

Then I realized that this project might have a future. In this project I installed everything I thought it was necessary, Great Little Radio Player, Great Little Book Shelf (My projects) and even some programs with a license that prohibits sharing. I made Wallpapers, adapted themes...etc. And it was a big hit. Friends liked it, and although it was very buggy I tried to hear the public opinion. On google plus communities I have received the confirmation that I needed and it was time to remove bugs ... and to make some useful tool. I am not a brilliant programmer but I know what is needed. So Style Changer and other apps was created.

In that time, project name was HomeOS, but one user commented that Microsoft have it’s own project with the same name, so we needed new one. People suggested many names and we came with this one. ChaletOS was born. And the rest you know, you ware there.
DejanPetrovic
DejanPetrovic

Back to top Go down

How I made ChaletOS Empty Re: How I made ChaletOS

Post by BroDan Thu May 07, 2015 10:35 am

Thank you for the background story Dejan! That was really interesting and appreciated!
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by favre Wed May 13, 2015 10:15 am

One of the better Linux names .. ChaletOS, sounds cool and works well on my desktop pc.

Well done DejanPetrovic.
favre
favre

Back to top Go down

Post by mister.no Sat May 16, 2015 6:17 am

veliki pozdrav i nadam se da ces nastaviti sa dobrim radom
mister.no
mister.no

Back to top Go down

Post by DejanPetrovic Sat May 16, 2015 7:54 am

mister.no wrote:veliki pozdrav i nadam se da ces nastaviti sa dobrim radom

Trudiću se!
DejanPetrovic
DejanPetrovic

Back to top Go down

Post by Skynet Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 am

Greetings from Romania, i used only windows , from xp to win 8.1 and win 10 recently, i tried in the past a few versions of linux, ubuntu, xubuntu, , pupy, elementary os, manjaro , zorin but only ChaletOS was the best, . In a few words : speed, looking very nice, working on older computers. I want to thankyou for this release, you are the best.

On my pc Inter Core 2duo, 2,67 Ghz,, 3 GB ram, ati 512 mb is working nice, is fast and there are no errors like on windows ..Wink working perfect!
Skynet
Skynet

Back to top Go down

Post by Evandrobrito Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:16 am

Boa tarde,
gostaria de saber se posso instalar ChaletOS 32Bits maio de 2015,em um notebook toshiba ,com 3GB de memoria ?
Evandrobrito
Evandrobrito

Back to top Go down

Post by DejanPetrovic Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:54 am

Evandrobrito wrote:Boa tarde,
gostaria de saber se posso instalar ChaletOS 32Bits maio de 2015,em um notebook toshiba ,com 3GB de memoria ?

Yes... it will fly
DejanPetrovic
DejanPetrovic

Back to top Go down

How I made ChaletOS Empty Muito obrigado

Post by Evandrobrito Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:35 am

DejanPetrovic wrote:
Evandrobrito wrote:Boa tarde,

Yes... it will fly
Evandrobrito
Evandrobrito

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:50 am

Dejan, i'll add some remarks in spanish, as it's similar enough to portuguese for him to understand, ok?

Evandrobrito: ¿Un notebook con 3 Gb de memoria? Te sobra...Chalet OS pide pocos recursos.

Sólo espero que tu laptop no tenga hardware "raro" como el que a veces usa Toshiba (botones multimedia, control de brillo de pantalla, control de ventilador ACPI no-estándar, etc).

Prueba el LiveCD de 32 bits y ya nos dices, ok? Ya verás como es bueno, bonito....y barato !
Peter
Peter

Back to top Go down

Post by specterm Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:59 pm

Dejan. Im loving how easy it is to customize and how familiar it is with windows. I did like ubuntu but the things I wanted ubuntu to do I could never get working. steam. changing the theme. ChaletOS just does it! No need for running a terminal. Now just get Bohemia Interactive to release arma in linux!
specterm
specterm

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestormz Thu May 12, 2016 1:11 am

Very nice project so far, I hope you can get the name out there to get more support for it.

best of luck!
bluestormz
bluestormz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down