Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Post and Thanks for Chalet 16.04!

2 posters

:: Forum :: Your Story

Go down

First Post and Thanks for Chalet 16.04! Empty First Post and Thanks for Chalet 16.04!

Post by asciiman Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:27 am

Hello-

Just wanted to say thanks for the very nice ChaletOS 16.04.
It is a nice integration of great looks and features and hopefully will inspire many people to see how friendly Linux can be!

I found the distro on DistroWatch where I tend to hang around.
I am fairly new to gnu Linux, just about 4 years now.
The ChaletOS 16.04 install worked very nicely on an MBR install.
Haven't tried UEFI yet.

One thing I have noticed that seems to be perplexing is that the update manager/notifier in ChaletOS seems to be fussy.  I have the Ubuntu "Software & Updates" init set up this way:

Check Updates:       Daily
Security Updates:    Download and install automatically
Other Updates:        Display immediately

Do these setting present a conflict with the ChaletOS Update/Notifier??

I have observed that there seems to be an issue with the updater not finding the Wine i386 repo or a missing dependency.  I used Synaptec and completely removed "Wine Staging" as I don't use Windows programs anyway.  I will continue to observe the ChaletOS update notifier to see if removing Wine Staging took care of the error.

If anyone has covered this, please let me know.  I did a search here at the forum and did not see much detail on the topic.

Anyway, thanks once again for the very slick distro!

Best,
Allen
asciiman
asciiman

Back to top Go down

First Post and Thanks for Chalet 16.04! Empty Re: First Post and Thanks for Chalet 16.04!

Post by James Tobin Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 am

I am glad you are enjoying Chalet OS! hope it works well for you

asciiman wrote:
The ChaletOS 16.04 install worked very nicely on an MBR install.
Haven't tried UEFI yet.

I recommend you don't try uefi as it does not work very well. the only way I know to install with uefi is https://chaletos.forumotion.com/t237-install-chalet-os-with-uefi

no, those settings should not create any update conflicts, although having it check for updates daily is a pain because then it will notify you daily. Better to go for weekly.

with that wine repo: have you ran 'sudo apt-get update' in the terminal? that updates repository information.

Hope you enjoy Chalet OS!
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

First Post and Thanks for Chalet 16.04! Empty Re: First Post and Thanks for Chalet 16.04!

Post by asciiman Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:18 am

James Tobin wrote:
with that wine repo: have you ran 'sudo apt-get update' in the terminal? that updates repository information.

Hi James and thanks for the welcome.

Yes, on many occasions I have run apt-get update from the terminal.
It did not seem to make any difference.

Maybe there is something about the notifier's behavior that I am not clearly understanding?

Also, perhaps related, I have noticed that the Notifier's menu when selecting "Show Updates" does not seem to do anything at all.

In a more general sense, it just seems that the integration between the ChaletOS Update Notifier, the standard Ubuntu Software Updater, and the new "Software" application is not up to snuff quite yet.  For example, I have found that I can manually run the old Ubuntu Software Updater, re-boot, then run the new "Software" application and it will report new system software being available.  Are these two update systems hitting different repos??

Anyway, probably should move this to a different sub-forum, but yes thanks one and all for the nifty little OS.  I am looking at moving a (computer illiterate) friend over from XP and am looking for a Linux distro that can be setup to be nearly maintenance free for them.  Chalet seems like a great candidate for that.

If anyone can point me to some reading regarding any of the issues I have raised, please do!

Best,

Allen
asciiman
asciiman

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:21 am

that may be, I'd just rely on automatic system updates.
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down