Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How I came to Chalet OS

5 posters

:: Forum :: Your Story

Go down

How I came to Chalet OS Empty How I came to Chalet OS

Post by Mike_H1960 Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:41 am

this is where it began (My Long Journey)

(a bit of history)
I began computing and computer repair back in 1986 on an old DOS machine called the IBM XT 8080 using GEOS (Geoworks Ensemble) and I utilized that till 1991 Where I began noticing a paradigm shift in trends heading towards windows.Well the OS at that time was windows 3.0. I became part of that shift.When windows 3.1 came out.I was on the bandwagon.Then win 95. By this time, I was in WOW mode.

After 3 years of getting "WOWed" and dealing with crashes, I began looking to doing my first computer rebuild. It was Mid 1998 and I finished rebuilding a Dell Optiplex 5120 desktop and wanted a new version to install fresh. This was Windows 98 SE. A disk I Paid $150.00 for brand new OEM (I still have that CD BTW). It was about this time that I heard about Linux for the first time through a pal who was a Linux guru. The copy he handed me was (A Now defunct distro) Called L4W (Or Lin 4 Win which was Linux for Windows). This can be Mandrake 2.0 (if I recall). I still have the disk as well. Well From 1998 to 2000 I was using that and Windows 98 or ME and then in 2001 I managed to get Windows XP. I stuck with XP clean through it's 13 year Lifespan. In 2006, I began delving back to Linux with a distro called Linspire 5.0 which was ok. It Dual Booted with XP ok. The KDE desktop was sharp. The repository preceded Ubuntu by a couple years.It had "CNR" (Click N Run). In 2008, I was turned onto Ubuntu 7.0 and I ran that with windows XP till version 10.04 . By this time, I was running XP with SP3 and my loyalty to XP began to wane. I then installed win 7 and stayed with it and XP until Microsoft killed off XP last year.I was tired of the lag,the constant lagging updates,the programs bogging it down,the viruses,so at this time I had decided to go full-time Linux.

By this time,I have owned about 40 or 50 CDs and DVDs of Linux distros and used ubuntu proficiently. I came to this distro looking for a clean feel and responsiveness (which I may add that I wasn't let down). I had thought I was going to be burned on it. Well I was clearly surprised.

How I came to Chalet OS Screen11

I Made it look and feel Like XP with no problems at all... Thanks Guys,You Rawk!
Mike_H1960
Mike_H1960

Back to top Go down

How I came to Chalet OS Empty Re: How I came to Chalet OS

Post by Dits Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:50 am

Great story Mike, and welcome to the forum.
Dits
Dits

http://chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:31 pm

That was an interesting story!
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexander Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Все началось с того, что мой старый ноутбук с лицензионной Windows 10 сломался. Ремонт стоил бы мне приличных денег. Поэтому, собрав средства, я отправился в магазин. Удалось купить лишь довольно "слабую" машину без операционной системы. О линуксе я имел лишь общее представление, Windows знаю неплохо. Но деваться было некуда, поэтому я стал подбирать дистрибутив, который был бы прост в освоении, похож на Windows и, скажу честно, был бы приятен глазу. Перепробовал много вариантов:как популярных, так и экзотических. Среди тех, которые в целом понравились, были российская ОС "Роса" и Линукс минт 18. Однако, в каждой из них была какая-то мелочь, которая портила общее впечатление и лишала удовольствия от работы.
Название Chalet ОС встретилось случайно. Обнадеживали немногие отзывы, но настораживало их малое количество. Решил попробовать. Установка не заняла много времени. А проблем удалось избежать благодаря статье http://compizomania.blogspot.com/2016/05/chaletos-1604-xubuntu-1604.html. Все встало и заработало без проблем. Легко поставил офисный пакет, которого не было в дистрибутиве. Не сразу, но нашел возможность установить индикатор переключения клавиатуры.
Прошло два дня. Впечатления самые положительные. Быстро, просто и понятно, красиво. Одним словом, спасибо разработчикам.
Alexander
Alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:07 am

Alexander wrote:Все началось с того, что мой старый ноутбук с лицензионной Windows 10 сломался. Ремонт стоил бы мне приличных денег. Поэтому, собрав средства, я отправился в магазин. Удалось купить лишь довольно "слабую" машину без операционной системы. О линуксе я имел лишь общее представление, Windows знаю неплохо. Но деваться было некуда, поэтому я стал подбирать  дистрибутив, который был бы прост в освоении, похож на Windows и, скажу честно, был бы приятен глазу. Перепробовал много вариантов:как популярных, так и экзотических. Среди тех, которые в целом понравились, были российская ОС "Роса" и Линукс минт 18. Однако, в каждой из них была какая-то мелочь, которая портила общее впечатление и лишала удовольствия от работы.
Название Chalet ОС встретилось случайно. Обнадеживали немногие отзывы, но настораживало их малое количество. Решил попробовать. Установка не заняла много времени. А проблем удалось избежать благодаря статье  http://compizomania.blogspot.com/2016/05/chaletos-1604-xubuntu-1604.html. Все встало и заработало без проблем. Легко поставил офисный пакет, которого не было в дистрибутиве. Не сразу, но нашел возможность установить индикатор переключения клавиатуры.
Прошло два дня. Впечатления самые положительные. Быстро, просто и понятно, красиво. Одним словом, спасибо разработчикам.

TRANSLATED:

It all started with the fact that my old laptop with licensed Windows 10 broke down. Repairs would cost me decent money. Therefore, raising funds, I went to the store. Managed to buy only a relatively "weak" machine without operating system. On Linux I had only a general idea of Windows know well. But there was nowhere to go, so I started to pick up a distro that would be easy to learn, similar to Windows and, frankly, would be pleasing to the eye. Tried many options: how popular and exotic. Among those who generally liked, were Russian OS "Rosa" and Linux Mint 18. However, each of them was a trifle, which spoiled the overall impression and discouraging pleasure from work.
Chalet name OS met accidentally. Encouraging a few reviews, but a small number of them alert. Decided to try it. Installation took a lot of time. But problems were avoided thanks to article http://compizomania.blogspot.com/2016/05/chaletos-1604-xubuntu-1604.html. All stood and worked without problems. Easily put Office suite, which was not in the distribution. Not immediately, but found the option to install the indicator switch keyboards.
It has been two days. Impressions the most positive. Fast, simple and straightforward, beautifully. In short, thanks to developers.
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:07 am

great story Mike! Welcome to the community of SatisFried ChaletOS users Very Happy
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down