Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I use latest ChaletOS or Long Term Supported ChaletOS?

3 posters

Go down

Should I use latest ChaletOS or Long Term Supported ChaletOS? Empty Should I use latest ChaletOS or Long Term Supported ChaletOS?

Post by xyis1 Tue May 05, 2015 12:05 pm

Should I use latest ChaletOS or Long Term Supported ChaletOS?

ChaletOS is not a rolling release distro so it will be painful if you have problems deleting/formatting partitions and reinstalling ChaletOS-latest. It will be good to install ChaletOS LTS-Long Term Supported and then just do

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

dist-upgrade is for rolling release cycle.

If you stay with Long Term Supported ChaletOS you need not worry about it for a long time.

It's always better to create more partitions to save data and then be careful and mindful of what partitions are being used for new ChaletOS installation.

Cheers.

Last edited by xyis1 on Tue May 05, 2015 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
xyis1
xyis1

http://xyis1.blogspot.in/

Back to top Go down

Should I use latest ChaletOS or Long Term Supported ChaletOS? Empty Re: Should I use latest ChaletOS or Long Term Supported ChaletOS?

Post by efbe Tue May 05, 2015 5:47 pm

I prefer long term support. I don't want to reinstall a system every few months.
efbe
efbe

Back to top Go down

Should I use latest ChaletOS or Long Term Supported ChaletOS? Empty Re: Should I use latest ChaletOS or Long Term Supported ChaletOS?

Post by xyis1 Mon May 11, 2015 10:47 pm

There are commands that we can use to upgrade our current ChaletOS distro without the need of formatting the current drives but LTS - Long Term Supported release should always be considered as they are more stable and as the name suggests, more support is always around the corner. I personally believe ChaletOS should follow LXLE moto of releasing LTS based distros only. If 15.04 Ubuntu - ChaletOS is released many will distro hop dumping ChaletOS even if there are minor hiccups and that's what distro hoppers always do... Distro hoppers always want the best linux distro and if a minor bug surfaces and they are bugged by it then they simply distro hop. That's my personal experience. As per latest news, I believe ChaletOS is the emerging winner and we should keep it that way.

Cheers.
xyis1
xyis1

http://xyis1.blogspot.in/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonzalo Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:24 am

The new LTS version chaletos works perfectly well on my desktop ! ...but leaving the older version on my old dell laptop. It's the fastest os I've put on that old dog... even with the popcorn Very Happy
Gonzalo
Gonzalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down