Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

23 years with Windows

2 posters

:: Forum :: Your Story

Go down

23 years with Windows Empty 23 years with Windows

Post by naseeb Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:59 pm

I've been using Windows since 1995. Starting with Windows 95, through 98, 2000, Millennium, XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10. Tried to use Ubuntu several times through this long journey with computers and notebooks, but failed, probably because was not very much attentive to use Linux. Major obstacle was unfamiliarity with Office and Multimedia softwares.

Couple of years ago started to use free or open source softwares. Major step was to shift from MS Office 2016 to Libre Office 5. Used some other open source softwares like VLC for multimedia, Peazip instead of Winzip and Winrar, Faststone image viewer instead of ACDSee, Imgburn and Burnware free instead of Nero, PDF Xchange editor instead of NitroPDF or Adobe Acrobat reader.

Last January, while was bed-bound due to an accident and fracture of right heel bone, had plenty of time to do "research" on Linux again. Astonished to find 10 flavors of Ubuntu and chose Budgie to use (which was not a good decision), because I thought it would be closer to Windows to use. Initially it was tough. Had to come back to Windows 10 for day to day jobs to be done. Then searched more on Linux and found the strength to try Linux Mint. I also tried Kubuntu and Zorin OS same day, but I was amazed on using live CD of Linux Mint and decided to install it. To me, Linux mint is super stable, but a bit dull in appearance and less customizable in comparison to Windows. It is still on my machine, along with Windows 10. Then thought whether there are Linux distros still closer to Windows in appearance. Then I found Xubuntu, not Budgie, is closer in appearance to Windows. Yesterday, while searching for 'Windows like Linux', in a page of Make-Use-Of ChaletOS was in number one position. I used the live cd and again surprised with its appearance, customization options and user friendliness. Installed yesterday and still trying to do everything in it.
naseeb
naseeb

Back to top Go down

23 years with Windows Empty Re: 23 years with Windows

Post by James Tobin Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:20 am

Welcome and thanks
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down