Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My experience with ChaletOS

2 posters

:: Forum :: Your Story

Go down

My experience with ChaletOS Empty My experience with ChaletOS

Post by TJ Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:01 am

Hi everyone, I am TJ and a daily ubuntu user since windows tried to kill my windows xp computer. I didn't agree to pay two times for 1 pc! Since then I switched to Ubuntu, first alongside my winxp comp, on a really old one, to get used to it, until Microsoft forced me in to a full confert to Linux.
About two years later, I'm real happy I made the step and a whole world opened up for me! I want to share that world to my friends and family, but they get allready scared by hearing the word Linux or open source.

I bought a notebook a couple of months ago and since I use it like others use their tablet, I share it a lot with others. And there's my point, they get confused by the Ubuntu layout. So, since I have still my desktop for daily use, I wanted to shop around a bit to find a suitable OS for my notebook. I tried a couple of them, but none of them was really what I was looking for. Until I found on DuckDuckGo Chalet OS when I searched for Ubuntu Alternative.

I tried to install it multiple times, but every time there is something where the installer crashes during installation.
Got no idea what could be the case, since from that moment the live session is soo slow that it is unusable (5 minutes response time after a mouseclick).

What I've seen from the live session is really awesome! It is exactly in the middle. Linux software for me, windows feel for them!
Great stuff guys! Hope you can fix the installer so I can try it again in the near future!
TJ
TJ

Back to top Go down

My experience with ChaletOS Empty Re: My experience with ChaletOS

Post by James Tobin Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:24 am

welcome to the forums! Can you tell me when you downloaded the ISO? the previous version of Chalet OS had a trouble intstaller that goofed on many computers. The latest ISO that is downloadable from the Chalet OS website is version 16.04.2 which is a lot better than the previous versions. Please try downloading the latest version of Chalet OS from https://sites.google.com/site/chaletoslinux/download

Thank you for posting and for trying Chalet OS, I hope the newest release works for you. If it doesnt do us a favor and post a screenshot of the error in forum "Help and support" so we can diagnose the problem and help you get over it.

God bless!
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:50 am

Salam Aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!
I believe it was the 16.04.1 version. Maybe it's worth to tell that my notebook doesn't have a cd-rom and/or dvd player. I have usb, and micro sd available, so I'm used to use live usb to install a distro. I used the ubuntu "startup disk creator" utility to put it on my usb pen drive.
Everything works when I use the live version (and it looked awesome!), until i tried to install it. then I get the error's during the installation, so a screenshot can't help us to figger out what the problem is, since I can't make it. And unfortunatly, I'm a pretty retro guy without a camera or anything else to take pictures with to show you the error.

As soon I have some spare time and the need for something new starts boiling again I will try it!
But maybe, since you reply every post here so personal, you can answer my question directly. I have a RTL8723BE wifi receiver build in, and to make it work in Ubuntu, I can use this script:See first answer in this question thread.
Does the same script also work for ChaletOS?
TJ
TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:08 am

I'm sorry for putting it so simply, but if it's 16.04.1 then you probably did have an error. 16.04.1 was a failure. 16.04.2 is the latest download from website and is a great success. there have been multiple complaints of 16.04.1 installer crashes. 16.04.2 fixes them all.

Please download 16.04.2 from https://sites.google.com/site/chaletoslinux/download

Thank you for chosing Chalet OS!
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down