Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some suggestions for the distro

Go down

Some suggestions for the distro Empty Some suggestions for the distro

Post by famewolf Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:17 am

I really like how you have the conky's setup.  I browsed/modified the code for the conky's because I wanted the conky I chose to have the battery info and it didn't.  In fact only a few of the conky's I saw provided battery level.  Now battery does appear in the system tray but I'd prefer to also have it with the ram/swap space as well.   Since you are already running bash shell scripts to setup the user's conky it becomes pretty easy to do some sed replacements/additions or make it as simple as having the lines there and have sed add/remove the comment tag (#) from in front.   You could add battery info if the user is on a laptop and remove it if not.  

Now you get into other neat things such as when I installed the distro into virtualbox the only internet adapter available other than "lo" was "enp0s3" yet conky was still trying to show "wlan0".  It's also easy from a shell script to see what network adaptors are available..which have an ip address and doing a sed replace of "wlan0" from the "default" conky configs to the users of the proper adaptor.  There should be more consistentcy as well...if you are assuming it's a laptop by showing wlan0 then why not the battery level?  If you are NOT assuming a laptop by not having battery level why not default to eth0 or whatever adaptor is available.  

You also show available space for both "System" and "home" which on most system's nowadays will be identical.....a quick comparison of filesize and disabling the "home" line if the space is exactly identical makes things cleaner AND gives you the space necessary to install that battery line if needed.

One reviewer of the distro commented the lack of libreoffice was a major flaw as it put the onus on the "newbie" to locate and install libreoffice assuming they knew about it instead of having it readily available.  I just mention it in passing as I also realize that package is rather large..then again we are well into dvd size at 1.3gb so why not get some usage out the typical 4.7gb dvd..ditto usb drives.  

I guess I should mention my wifi adaptor did not work because the firmware for the b43 driver which WAS included couldn't be found.  The problem was I could install "firmware-b43-installer" but the interface still doesn't come up till a reboot which on a live dvd with no place to save settings would be a really neat trick.

Please consider a "combined image" that has a menu letting the user select i686 or amd64 on bootup...I'd love to keep that on a jumpdrive I keep on my keychain for on the fly installs of friends older pc's which I'm regularly asked to "clean up".  

I attempted to use the startup disc creator multiple times...it crashed everytime I tried to leave space for documents/settings.  I finally had to just do a standard install with no "permanent" area.  

Shortly after a user boots they get a warning popup that says "Incomplete Language Support" with it prompting to download files then they are notified updates are available...a couple of those involve being prompted whether to keep the new or old file such as lsb-release.  Something somewhere should tell the user prior to this point the best route to take.  The old lsb-release for example says chaletos and the new says ubuntu...made the most sense to me to keep the old but newbies are not going to have a clue..then worry about the consequences.  

Your direct installer did NOT give me a CHOICE in whether to install updates or not.  If it didn't see an internet connection you couldn't enable it.  If it saw an internet connection you COULD NOT disable it.  What if I'm in a hurry or not on high speed internet?   I'm on an LTE connection and the install has been running for 45 minutes now because it's downloading 350mb worth of updates on a slow connection.  Booting into the live dvd on the other hand and then doing the install DID let me select 3rd party and keep updates unchecked.  Of course it still seems to be downloading a boatload of updates...how many packages for "3rd party software?"

Please don't think I'm just being negative.  The distro has many benefits..these are just a few of the rough edges I encountered.  Hmm my laptop screen went dark at some point when writing this and when I touched the touchpad to get it to light up I got a screen full of garbage...so now I guess I have to start the whole thing over again...and I have to choose between letting it have internet so I can install the 3rd party drivers I DO want and then waiting a long time for the updates or doing a quick install and trying to fix it after the fact.

When the installer finally said it was done I clicked the button to reboot...at which point the installer promptly died. The error given was:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 649, in
main(oem_config)
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 633, in main
install(args[0], query=options.query)
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 276, in install
copy_debconf()
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 354, in copy_debconf
dc = debconf.Debconf(read=dccomm.stdout, write=dccomm.stdin)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 50, in __init__
self.setUp(title)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 53, in setUp
self.version = self.version(2)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 62, in
lambda *args, **kw: self.command(command, *args, **kw))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 83, in command
status = int(status)
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

Last edited by famewolf on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:43 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added info on failed install.)
famewolf
famewolf

Back to top Go down