Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Issue with booting from USB

2 posters

Go down

Issue with booting from USB Empty Issue with booting from USB

Post by mcgavinj Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:14 am

Good day

Firstly, I am totally in love with Chalet OS and have installed it on multiple computers at my school. We got a donation of a couple hundred Cainama laptops from the Venezuelan Government and they came preloaded with an old version of Debian. We had great success with running Chalet OS on our HP Desktops but when trying to load Chalet OS unto the laptops we ran into an issue.

The laptop would reboot before it hit the grub screen. At first I thought it was an error with the USB creator (I used Pendrive Linux), however, Unetbootin, Rufus and Lili didn't work as well. If I used a Ubuntu, Zorin or Linuxmint ISO then it would boot up perfectly. I have been really scratching my head to determine what could be the problem.

Any ideas?
mcgavinj
mcgavinj

Back to top Go down

Issue with booting from USB Empty Re: Issue with booting from USB

Post by BroDan Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:30 am

There have been some issues with various USB creators. Have you tried Mintstick? That's the USB creator tool that's included on Chalet. It actually comes with 2 apps...and they go by the following names (they're not called Mintstick)

1. USB Stick Formatter (use this first to format the USB to Fat32)
2. USB Image Writer (use this second to write the image to the USB).

I've used Mintstick to make many different USBs for many different distros...Debian-based, Arch-based, Ubuntu-based, etc., and it has always worked perfectly. To me, it's also the simplest and easiest to use. Wink

If you're not at a Chalet computer (where you already have access to Mintstick), you can download it on either an Ubuntu or Debian based computer from the following link...choose the one at the bottom of the list (it's the newest version).

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintstick/

When you say that you used Pendrive Linux, were you talking about the Universal USB Installer...I've used it in the past for Chalet with no problems, and others have too...not sure what the problem could be?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Hope that helps! Smile
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by mcgavinj Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:45 am

Hey tried the USB Image writer in Chalet OS. We have some progress. It stopped rebooting and now just hangs at a black screen with blinking cursor. I am wondering if it is a bug in Syslinux. Tried Universal USB and same deal. Sad
mcgavinj
mcgavinj

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 am

I'm sorry mcgavinj, but this is beyond me. I did remember some people had the black screen issue, so I went back to the Chalet Google+ Community page to see what I could find. I don't know if this will help, but here's a link to what I found. If this doesn't help, you might consider joining the Chalet Google+ Community and posing your problem there. The developer of Chalet is more active there than here, and he might be able to help you...

Sorry you're having trouble; here's the link...

https://plus.google.com/communities/108630943169932456503/s/black%20screen
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by mcgavinj Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Thanks BroDan

Will try and see if I can get some answers on the Google+ communities. Hopefully someone will have the same issue with these Venezuelan Canaima Laptops (Intel Classmate EF10MI2). I have solved other issues with them notably the wifi dropping and still have a problem with the trackpad locking up with multi-touch. I guess it's just another layer on a crap sandwich Neutral

Thanks again
mcgavinj
mcgavinj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down