Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible to upgrade to 18.04?

5 posters

Go down

Possible to upgrade to 18.04? Empty Possible to upgrade to 18.04?

Post by Sotelach Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:53 pm

I just wondered if anyone using chaletos had tried to upgrade any chaletos system to 18.04? If so, with what kind of results?
If not, I think I may give it a go on a fresh install on an external hard drive and see what happens. Obviously it may be wise to keep all of the package maintainer versions that are offered on the upgrade path on the first install I guess.
I know there is still remaining long term support on the 16.04 but thought it may be interesting to try the upgrade.
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Possible to upgrade to 18.04? Empty Re: Possible to upgrade to 18.04?

Post by Sotelach Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Well, I did it on a fresh install which was then fully updated with no modifications by myself or any of my files etc, simply fresh.

So far, so good. The only two things noticeable thus far are the wallpaper changes to the new xubuntu edition when in "desktop settings" and the lack of a border around boxes (ie when requesting your password etc), no biggy and probs easily sorted.

I do not recommend doing this on any current running system as there could be hidden dangers of data loss, file incompatibility etc etc. If like me you have a spare hard drive and want to give it a try, why not.

I will now use it as my daily OS.

Remember this is an upgrade over 16.04 on a spare hard drive, not 16.04.2. All maintainer versions when doing the upgrade were kept to default.
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Possible to upgrade to 18.04? Empty Possible to upgrade to 18.04?

Post by JeffK969 Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:54 am

Hmmm. Wouldn't have thought of that.. Good Job. I should of tried upgrade to before removing, as one last gasp of hope... I ultimately switched over to Mint XFCE for the LTS...

I never did an upgrade on linux, was it easy? Wonder if it's be worth a go...
JeffK969
JeffK969

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:30 am

you can always try, especially in a VM.
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffK969 Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:49 am

Sotelach, you still using? How's it working out?

I miss my Chalet...lol
JeffK969
JeffK969

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffK969 Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:18 am

Dang... No answer....lol

Which now leads me to this question... If I was to use 16.04 as say the base, and perform an upgrade like Sotelach did and it worked. About how long could I go before I would have to abandon Chalet and go to a new OS (with this being a hypothetical question since I already did, but selfishly want the best, Chalet)...? I have only been using Linux for about a year and still have sooo much to learn. I recently did the mint xfce upgrade from 18.3 to 19 with not the best results (ended up doing fresh install with 19), so due to that limited 'upgrade' experience being all that I know, wonder how long one would be able to keep Chalet going....
JeffK969
JeffK969

Back to top Go down

Post by daniel Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Well, I said goodbye to ChaletOS last week. I did an upgrade to 18.04 some time ago and encountered similar graphical issues as described by Sotelach. For me those were too annoying after trying for several weeks, though, so I decided to abandon ChaletOS.
I am now using Manjaro Deepin which looks pretty nice imho. I think I will stay with this distro for a while.
daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dits Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:20 pm

daniel wrote:Well, I said goodbye to ChaletOS last week. I did an upgrade to 18.04 some time ago and encountered similar graphical issues as described by Sotelach. For me those were too annoying after trying for several weeks, though, so I decided to abandon ChaletOS.
I am now using Manjaro Deepin which looks pretty nice imho. I think I will stay with this distro for a while.

I also think it's time daniel, i moved on to Mint when i realised Dejan wasn't answering our calls when we were asking for a new release. It's a shame but on the other hand, very annoying, this project was getting very popular and could have reached great heights but to abandon every one without notice is poor form to me.

One great thing that ChaletOS has that makes it different to other distros is the style changer, i know you can muck around with most distros to have it looking like you want, but it was only a click of a mouse button to change styles, i wish the style changer was in linux Mint and other distros. Unfortunately Dejan said in another post on this forum that he won't release the source code.

Good luck all and have a merry Christmas and hope you all have a fantastic new year, take care.   santa
Dits
Dits

http://chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffK969 Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:18 am

I agree with you both... I didn't try the upgrade like Daniel, especially after reading Sotelach post. Being a noob, I wouldn't even know how to fix that, other than google searches of course... And like Dits, I moved onto Mint full time. But also now want to dual boot with Zorin. Just having the dual boot install issues.
I don't know Dejan, but I do believe that keeping on top of a distro, especially a growing one would be very time consuming. And I don't think he hurt us intentionally...haha There where several great things about Chalet. Heck, I keep coming back to see if there's any Dejan returned with an update news...lol

Enjoy your new OS journey's and Merry Christmas to you both as well...
JeffK969
JeffK969

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down