Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linux and Windows boot up times

3 posters

Go down

Linux and Windows boot up times Empty Linux and Windows boot up times

Post by Dits Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Iv'e just installed Windows 8.1 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro C850 Laptop with 500 Gig hard drive and 4 Gig of ram, downloaded and installed the classic start theme...just to see how it goes.

And i must say that i'm impressed with the boot up time..less than 20 seconds to boot Win 8.1 compared to ChaletOS, Linux Mint Cinnamon and Windows 7 which took about 50 seconds on the same laptop.

Even with all the same software installed..Libre Office, Gimp etc.. I wish Linux would boot that quick. Smile

Just noting that i don't have a Solid state drive installed ...so i guess it would be quicker again if i installed one of those.
Dits
Dits

http://chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Linux and Windows boot up times Empty Re: Linux and Windows boot up times

Post by James Tobin Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:51 pm

alright dits shutdown and startup on windows 8.1 are a JOKE. do a RESTART not a shutdown, or else go onto controll panel, disable fast startup, and turn off/on. fast startup is more of a hibernation where it is not actaully refreshing the system, which is total crap. Linux does mucn more when it restarts, you get a faster system because of it.
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dits Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:57 pm

As i said James, i'm just seeing how it goes..i won't keep windows 8.1 on it as i don't like anything Microsoft... Smile

But iv'e been switching this laptop on and off all day....same boot times even with a restart..

And why disable fast startup? i didn't even know there was a function for that lol.

Dits
Dits

http://chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:47 pm

because windows is a terrible base that needs to be restarted all the time, and fast boot wont count as a restart, however power >> restart will do a fulll reboot (sortof, windows just plain sucks with booting even then).

that way the system wont be all bugged up

nicely, linux is not that way. you could run it forever without restarting
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Idbri Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:11 am

hello Dits [plus 1; minus 1]
timings? linux starts quicker than microsoft. I will be on with James that the hybrid shutdown of windows systems for timings is cheating. and not for accurate timings of startup.  each windows device now has a keybinding for "full" or "hard" shutdown.  If you run windows you should find this hard shutdown once a month after superTuesday for system health on Windows.  As well,, linux needs a shutdown just to be sure everything will return properly in case of a power outage. really.  Yes there is discussion about never need to shutdown linux, then i began to see recommendations for shutdown after critical updates [Slackware, Solyd*] that made sense as a user coming from windows.  Lo and behold sometimes linux does not reboot after extensive updates.  That too can be blamed when on my machine living on the experimental edge and is to be expected when testing. so I advocate a full shutdown after updates even on linux.  
For timings, Dits, you might look into the repository for package= bootchart. boot sequence auditing.  I am fond of running it for curiosity.  some machines under twenty seconds for linux.  you will not find that quickly for microsoft (services, added av and fonts take time.)
Idbri
Idbri

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum