Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ChaletOS 16.04 is here and ready for downloading

+6
danielson
BroDan
Dits
Sotelach
beun
ap yorweth
10 posters

Go down

ChaletOS 16.04 is here and ready for downloading  Empty ChaletOS 16.04 is here and ready for downloading

Post by Dits Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:50 am

Please visit
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=chaletos
And click on the download tab.

Last edited by Dits 1 on Mon May 02, 2016 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Dits
Dits

http://chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

ChaletOS 16.04 is here and ready for downloading  Empty cant change display in charletos 16.04

Post by ap yorweth Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 am

downloaded charletos 16.04 today great, but it boots up with a screen display of 640 x 480 default were my laptop is 1280 x 800,and there,s no way i can change it in display settings, also some of the letter keys i press show up as numbers, unless i press the function key i can then type a full word would be very gratefull of info
ap yorweth
ap yorweth

Back to top Go down

ChaletOS 16.04 is here and ready for downloading  Empty Re: ChaletOS 16.04 is here and ready for downloading

Post by Sotelach Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:58 am

I upgraded my ChaletOS today and all seems fine except, in my task bar, the GB sign is too large (also lower case) and the Thunderbird email tab, the sound tab and the wireless tab are all grey (gray), very difficult to see what the logo is on each without clicking on it to open each one separately.

Apart from that, so far so good.

UPDATE -

I decided to go full re-install and boy am I glad I did, it is fantastic! Quick, bright and great looking new icon set.
Well done ChaletOS team (and Xubuntu of course).
The new default look is so much better than the grey previously used, more punchy and professional looking.

My only wish was for a default dock as I think people looking to change OS will be more attracted to an OS with one up front. Of course, easy to add but people are lazy or simply just wont find out how to add it. Of course, my opinion but I do like a good dock and uncluttered desktop. Also really like the new desktop clock by default, I was never keen on the default conky previously.

Just a thought, would it not be possible to add a quick ¨choices¨ menu on install/live boot? As in,
Your current desktop includes conky clock round, bottom task bar, recycle bin, home folder etc etc and then a selection of tick choices to change it ie- taskbar top, dock bottom, conky clock square etc etc.

The perfect OS just got better!
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

ChaletOS 16.04 is here and ready for downloading  Empty Re: ChaletOS 16.04 is here and ready for downloading

Post by Sotelach Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:06 pm

ap yorweth -

Unsure as to why your screen resolution should not work as with previous release but I think the key and numbers issue is normally to do with the ¨num Lk¨ key being set to on.
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Post by beun Sun May 01, 2016 12:25 am

Nice version but I miss my Windows 7 icons!
beun
beun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sotelach Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 am

Hi Dits 1, would it not help promote the latest OS release more rapidly if the link for download was via distrowatch? Just a thought.
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Post by Dits Mon May 02, 2016 7:15 am

Sotelach wrote:Hi Dits 1, would it not help promote the latest OS release more rapidly if the link for download was via distrowatch? Just a thought.

Good idea.... i have edited the global announcement. Smile
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=chaletos
Dits
Dits

http://chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan Tue May 03, 2016 1:11 pm

beun wrote:Nice version but I miss my Windows 7 icons!

Does the new version not come with the Windows 7 icons? I haven't tried the new version yet, so I'm not aware if they're available or not.

HOWEVER...

If they aren't available, you can download them from the ChaletOS website. It appears that with the new release, Dejan has hidden the old page that offered the various downloads...but luckily...he hasn't deleted the page. Also luckily...I had the page bookmarked. As of now (11:35 pm 05/02/2016 EST/US), the page and downloads are still available. Here's the link to the "hidden" page...

https://sites.google.com/site/chaletoslinux/theme-sources

Just download the Icon Pack called ChaletOS Emerald. It includes the Emerald icons and the Windows 7 icons. Hopefully they still work and render properly since the new Chalet is based on Xubuntu 16.04. If they're not included on the new Chalet, that could be why...but I don't know.
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by danielson Tue May 03, 2016 7:58 pm

Congrats to the devs for the hard work and beautiful distro! Cool

Just curious to know how to try other 64bit browsers like Slimjet or Vivaldi? Have downloaded them but they won't install.
danielson
danielson

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan Wed May 04, 2016 3:05 am

danielson wrote:Congrats to the devs for the hard work and beautiful distro! Cool

Just curious to know how to try other 64bit browsers like Slimjet or Vivaldi? Have downloaded them but they won't install.

I've heard others say they're having trouble installing things too. I haven't tried the new version yet, so I don't know if this will still work, but you can try this...

1. Open your file manager and go to the folder in which you've downloaded the browsers.
2. Right-click on any empty space of the open folder, and choose the Open Terminal Here option.
3. In the terminal, enter the following command...substituting "package-name" with the EXACT name of the file that you downloaded (including special characters).

sudo dpkg -i package-name.deb
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by danielson Wed May 04, 2016 4:07 am

Although installation did install the browser (for which i thank you BroDan!), it still gave this error message:
"Errors were encountered while processing:
slimjet"
Now trying to add it to panel - no icon was installed with it.
danielson
danielson

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan Wed May 04, 2016 4:45 am

danielson wrote:Although installation did install the browser (for which i thank you BroDan!), it still gave this error message:
"Errors were encountered while processing:
slimjet"
Now trying to add it to panel - no icon was installed with it.

You're welcome. It might be too late for Slimjet, but if you encounter that error message on another deb package while installing using the terminal, enter the following command...I'll show it two ways, because I can't remember if both commands work the same, or if one is specific to Ubuntu...

sudo apt-get install -f

or

sudo apt-get -f install

All that command will do is install missing dependencies (if available) for something you're trying to install. You may have to enter the command to install the .deb package again after running the "-f" command.
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by danielson Wed May 04, 2016 5:53 am

Thanks again BroDan! Smile
danielson
danielson

Back to top Go down

Post by Momen-abdallah Wed May 04, 2016 7:13 am

Guys one small problem again with the screen saver I could not find light-locker in settings menu is there any way to solve this problem please
Momen-abdallah
Momen-abdallah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sotelach Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 am

Momen-abdallah wrote:Guys one small problem again with the screen saver I could not find light-locker in settings menu is there any way to solve this problem please

IS this any help? The second post -

How do I disable automatic screen locking in Xubuntu
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Post by frits Mon May 16, 2016 8:22 pm

Tried the 64 bit, could not install. Gave install error. Although my Asus Vivobook is 64 bit. Downloading 32 bit now.

Finally got it working via uninstall 14.04, although I took away the old partition with Gparted.
frits
frits

Back to top Go down

Post by johne53 Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Can ChaletOS be configured to run from a USB stick? (i.e. so that I could try it out without needing to install it yet on my computer).
johne53
johne53

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:01 am

yes, a live session is default
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by johne53 Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:41 am

Thanks James - I tried downloading chaletOS-16042-amd64.iso (hopefully that's the right one) but each download stopped about 20% of the way through. Do you happen to know how many bytes that file will need (i.e. the download file size)? Maybe I'll need to try with a bigger drive...
johne53
johne53

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum