Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Disable Guest Account ?

4 posters

Go down

How To Disable Guest Account ? Empty How To Disable Guest Account ?

Post by iacman Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:32 am

Hi there,

Absolutely love ChaletOS... using it at work since August 2015. Now, however, I'm finding that people in my office have been using the guest account when I'm away!
Here's the issue:
On a number of occasions I've noticed that my ChaletOS's guest account has been used when I'm not in. They've been surfing/streaming movies/checking personal email/shopping!!!!) Therefore, I'd really like to DISABLE the guest account on my machine. This would deter any of my colleagues from using my terminal and force them to try to install Linux/ChaletOS themselves!

Please let me know if and how this is possible.
I really appreciate it!!!
Thanks a mil. Smile
iacman
iacman

Back to top Go down

How To Disable Guest Account ? Empty Re: How To Disable Guest Account ?

Post by Scott_CA Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:45 am

Is it not a simple matter of using 'Users and Groups' to delete, or password protect, the Guest account?   My system does not have a guest account, so it may have been added.

You will, of course, help your colleagues install ChaletOS, will you not?

:  )
Scott_CA
Scott_CA

Back to top Go down

Post by iacman Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:07 am

Of course!
Boss is totally cool with me messing with my terminal's OS; and I'd like to see each and every one in this office, running a Linux distro!!! My colleagues are just too "worried" to ruffle any feathers - they've been working here too long!!! lolol... but I'm slowly puttin' on the pressure!!!

And as for the guest account, it won't let me disable it via the Settings/Users window... it doesn't even show up Sad
Help! lol
iacman
iacman

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:50 am

See if this will work for you...

EDITED: DON'T USE THIS METHOD...THE CORRECT METHOD IS GIVEN A COUPLE OF POSTS DOWN.

Open your terminal and enter (or copy and paste) the following command...

sudo mousepad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

That should open your LightDM Greeter file. Now, scroll a little over half-way down the file until you see the section that starts right underneath [Seat:*]

Make a note of any changes you make so they can be reversed if needed...

Look for any entries having to do with Guest Session in that section. Look for Guest Session entries that DON'T have a # next to them, and put a # to the immediate left of each entry. This might work by just putting # next to the entry greeter-allow-guest=true. By putting the # next to those entries, you are telling the greeter to ignore those options.

After making the changes, close the file and tell it to save the changes. Then RESTART the computer to see if the changes took effect.

Last edited by BroDan on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by iacman Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:13 am

Hey BroDan,

I tried everything as you outlined (and thank you for the detail btw, much appreciated)... but still, guest account appears upon reboot. Errr!

Maybe this is a fix that can be remedied via the next distro/upgrade/update???
lol

Any further advice? Thank you again for your time and help.
iacman
iacman

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:09 am

iacman,

First, I apologize for that not working. It's my fault; it's been quite some time since I've disabled the Guest Session, so I was giving you old instructions for how it was done a long time ago. Took me a while to figure out how to do it since it's changed...

Here's all you need to do...and yes, I tried it to verify it, and it works. Wink

1. Open your terminal and enter (or copy and paste) this command...

sudo mousepad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/10-xubuntu.conf

That will bring up a small configuration file without much written on it. Currently, mine only has the following written in it (before I added what I'm about to show)...

[SeatDefaults]
user-session=xubuntu

2. On the next line under "user-session=xubuntu" simply type (or copy and paste) the following...

allow-guest=false

...so that the file now looks like this...

[SeatDefaults]
user-session=xubuntu
allow-guest=false

3. Close the file and tell it to save the changes.
RESTART the computer
, and the Guest Session is gone. Wink

If you ever want the Guest Session back, simply place a # in front of the line you added so that it looks like this...

[SeatDefaults]
user-session=xubuntu
#allow-guest=false

...or you can completely remove that line that you added if you prefer.

Again, I apologize for the faulty information.
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by iacman Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:39 pm

BroDan,

I apologize for the late reply; been away on business for 3 days... jetlagged and strep throat; fun times... ugh

And I just have to say...  YOU'RE AWESOME! The last method you outlined worked like a charm!

May I ask; how do you know how to do these things? ... complete with all proper syntax/paremeters, etc? ... and where might one learn such Linux 'tweaks'? lolol
I'm very impressed man. Wow... and Thank You!!!!!
iacman
iacman

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:03 am

iacman,

I'm glad that worked for you. To be honest, what I've learned has been through a lot of trial and error...A LOT! Wink

I can't point you to any specific source...I learned through trial and error, web searches, and other forums. I remember when I first started using Linux, I would ask a question, and very rarely would anyone respond in a way that a newcomer could understand. I would get things like..."You need to cd into ____" ...or... "Follow this file path ~/.config/blah/blah/blah". Shocked

I had no idea what cd meant...what ~/ meant...I didn't know what anything meant. I didn't even know what "follow this file path" meant. I basically had to teach myself with bits and pieces of what I picked up from others.

So...now that I've learned a little about Linux, I try to keep in mind that like I was, a user may not know what things mean...so I try to be as thorough and easy to follow as possible. I may not always succeed, but I try. You may already know this, but that terminal command that I gave you was just a shortcut down a file path...just a quick way to get to the file. Here was the command...
sudo mousepad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/10-xubuntu.conf

You opened that file with root privileges using the text editor.

The same thing could be done by opening your terminal and typing sudo thunar. Sudo gives you root privileges to change things in your system. Thunar is the file manager. So, you're opening the file manager with root privileges.

Next, you would click on File System (in the side bar)
Then you would open the etc folder.
Then you would open the lightdm folder.
Then you would open the lightdm.conf.d folder
Then you would open the 10-xubuntu.conf file to add the line I gave.

That's a lot more clicking, but that's how I used to do things. I'm by no means an expert; I'm still learning too...but I like to help others if I can. Smile

Hope you're feeling better.
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by cycool Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:30 am

i am trying to disable the guest account my it seems like that the above said file doesn't exist, but on the other hand there is a file called users.conf in /etc/lightdm/. I have tried the following but still unable to disable the guest session. Any ideas?

[SeatDefaults]
allow-guest=false
cycool
cycool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down