Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First time install

2 posters

:: Forum :: Your Story

Go down

First time install Empty First time install

Post by loomeh Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:57 am

I have been primarily a Windows user for my whole life.  I have dabbled in different flavors of Linux but always seemed to find my way back to the Windows OS.

Recently I decided to start using Linux again for my primary home desktop and I landed on Chalet OS.  Easy to set up and use.  My Creative Recon 3D soundcard (Creative products are known to have driver issues in Linux) worked out of the box!  Just turned my monitor up to 144 hz and set my preferred style via the 'Style Changer'.  Everything is looking great!

I also installed openVPN and configured it to use with my PIA subscription.  Switched my torrent client to Tixati and installed app grid.  I am loving Chalet so far; will post back here in a few weeks with an update.

Thank you to everyone who made this OS possible!

Last edited by loomeh on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot text)
loomeh
loomeh

Back to top Go down

First time install Empty Re: First time install

Post by James Tobin Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:31 am

thank you very much for Trying ChaletOS, glad you love it, and welcome to the forums!

if you have any questions feel free to ask in "help and support"

Enjoy!
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by loomeh Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Quick update.  Things are still great on Chalet.  Installing the proprietary Nvidia drivers was a bit of a hassle but I have those working nicely now.  Also got the package 'razer configuration' to change my mouse DPI.  

I am having an issue where the OS will not remember my mouse pointer theme settings, so perhaps I will make a thread in help and support sometime, but it's certainly not a big issue.  Overall I'm very pleased!

I forgot to mention, I heard about ChaletOS via this article:
http://www.tecmint.com/best-alternative-linux-distributions-for-windows-users/2/

Also, Steam is working nicely. I've tested Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Dust: An Elysian Tail, and Star Wars KOTOR II (I am surprised they did such a great job with this Linux port). Plus, Steam now natively supports PS4 controllers with the full customization and functionality as if it was a Steam branded controller. Since I'm on Chalet I don't even have to bother with software like DS4Windows to use my Playstation DS4 controller.

Last edited by loomeh on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional content)
loomeh
loomeh

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:37 pm

oh, thanks for pointing out that article!, and thanks for the other updates too Very Happy hope you enjoy for a long time Smile
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Forum :: Your Story

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum