Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enabling System/Event Sounds?....

2 posters

Go down

Enabling System/Event Sounds?.... Empty Enabling System/Event Sounds?....

Post by CHALOZZER816 Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:13 am

Hello. Welcome me as newest forum member...
I'm testing out three different Linux Distros alongside of my (cloned) XP Profl sp3 install. This is on three HDD's. On one HDD is my XP along side Mint 17.3 Rosa/XFCE . On another is XP alongside Kubuntu KDE/Plasma. And on another is ChaletOS 16.04.
The machine was originally shipped/sold with XP Media Center edition (2006 or 7), 32 bit, however has a AMD dual X2 3800+ 64 bit proc, 4 Gb pc3200 ram (dual-channel). I'm running dual-monitors on a AMD/ATI Radeon 5450 card.
The XP Profl sp3 on all 3 HDD's is a cloned 32-bit install.
All three Linux distros i'm playing with are 64-bit, all installed easily, only issue on install was each one mis-identified my monitors, had the one on the left which i want as my primary mixed up with the one on the right with I want as extended.
I really like the appearance of ChaletOS, running "Brave Classic" . I like the appearance of Kubuntu KDE/Plasma (and the visual effects i'm able to configure, which i'm delighted to see on this 10-plus year old 64-bit capable machine).
On ChaletOS16.04 and on MInt 17.3 Rosa/xfce both I have great appearing background (and screensaver)  spanning both monitors  (on Kubuntu KDE/Plasma I just haven't been able to do that).
My issue is -- With ChaletOS (as it is also with Mint 17.3 Rosa/xfce) -- I've been through all the hoops, installed packages with Synaptic, played with everything available in system settings --  and can't get any System/Event sounds to work (which however I CAN get to work on Kubuntu KDE/Plasma).
What am I missing?....
Thanks
CHALOZZER816
CHALOZZER816

Back to top Go down

Enabling System/Event Sounds?.... Empty Re: Enabling System/Event Sounds?....

Post by James Tobin Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:20 am

Your issue with the monitors is easy to solve. Go onto your settings and chose "display". You will have graphs of the 2 monitors as rectangles. Literally drag the one monitor to the other side of the other one and apply your changes. Also make sure to set which monitor is primary.

Kubuntu has system event sounds, however XFCE does not. That is a DE thing. Chalet OS, interestingly, is based on xfce. It is KDE that has all those neat sounds.

Maybe you can install some of KDE's notify utilities? sorry, I don't know much about KDE Sad all I know is that it Krashes a lot lol and I don't like it >:C

Hope this helps!
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CHALOZZER816 Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:31 am

Hey James :
Thanks for responding. The monitor issue was a non-issue, easily resolvable. Of course I could have just picked them up and physically swapped them -- but one being larger than the other and we read left to right so I wanted the larger as 'primary' on the left.
What is irritating is that in Mint xfce and in Chalet 16.04 I can have a wallpaper 'span' both monitors (as a single-desktop)--whereas in Kubuntu -- also 16.04, also Ubuntu-based, I can not.
When you say system/event sounds is a "DE thing" ... what do you mean?... distro-exclusive?
There are setting-options in both Chalet and MInt 17.3 xfce, in 'Appearance/Settings' with options to "Enable event sounds" and "Enable input feedback sounds." There are also sound-configs available in both Chalet and Mint 17.3 xfce in 'Settings Editor' on the xsettings page -- they all can't be there as just a tease, right, they are there, hopefully, seriously, configurable?
CHALOZZER816
CHALOZZER816

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:16 am

sorry. I have such a habbit of using those abbreviation. DE means Desktop Environment. KDE is a desktop environment, XFCE is too. And chalet os default is based on xfce.

Those sounds are for system events, not notifications. Such as a battery going dead for a laptop or sometimes a system crash. KDE you hear it all the time cuz there's so much krashes lol I think a lot of it is DE though. Those settings I believe are universal (input feedback sounds and event sounds). I dont know about KDE but they are on Unity, GNOME 3, MATE, XFCE, LXDE, and any distro IF it is based on Ubuntu.

I am guessing that your only choice is to get sound configuration and notify stuff for KDE onto your Chalet OS. KDE has more event sounds than any other DE (desktop environment) one thing I know about KDE.

I have to go now but I may do a search for KDE plugins/apps for it a bit later.
James Tobin
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by CHALOZZER816 Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:09 pm

Hey James, yeah, lol, I realized five minutes after I walked away from the 'puter 'DE' meant Desktop Environment.
Apparently.... it just isn't possible, and all the options I'm seeing is just a tease.
FWIW : I posted the same question on the MInt Forum seven days ago, got 30 views, and not one response, so it would appear that's just another dumb-newbie question that all the experienced Mint users have gotten tired of seeing and responding to and now ignore.
CHALOZZER816
CHALOZZER816

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:02 am

you don't need to feel that way, but it's a matter of features Smile
James Tobin
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down