Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIST OF USEFUL PROGRAMS

3 posters

Go down

LIST OF USEFUL PROGRAMS Empty LIST OF USEFUL PROGRAMS

Post by BlB Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:37 pm

List of useful programs VER 2
Postby BlB » 26 Oct 2015, 08:47

Dear friends,
I’d like to present you the List Of Useful Linux OS-es Apps as a HTML file - http://www.filedropper.com/linux2

With that about 95% completed List I’d like to integrate/encourage as much as possible more people to Linux OS-es as show them that usage of this kind OS as well as the installation of needed/relevant soft is not so difficult process.

The other 5% of the Linux soft can be found from several web places (included in the software part of List) but this will be something very special and not for the wide public.

In the present List there are many kinds of programs: as for the beginners as for professionals; as for the I-t surfers as for the physicists and astronomers, the biologists, the medical doctors, the chemists, the mathematicians the accountants, the mechanical & electro- engineers, the architects, the artists/musicians.

Please, if you find something interesting and useful for others to write here which will give the possibility that list to be well-rounded.
BlB
BlB

Back to top Go down

LIST OF USEFUL PROGRAMS Empty Re: LIST OF USEFUL PROGRAMS

Post by Gonzalo Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:48 am

unfortunately, the link above leads to the filedropper main page.
Gonzalo
Gonzalo

Back to top Go down

Post by BlB Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Hello and sorry for this inconvenience!

I will attach the enlarged list which is just in its raw form but this is small inconvenience ..I hope!Smile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/if27vhx555gs9pa/Linux2.html?dl=0

I Would recommend to try as much as possible distros....I have a few favorites and probably I will add more in the future..Smile

Regards!

Last edited by BlB on Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:01 am; edited 5 times in total
BlB
BlB

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowvzs Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:57 pm

i would like if all of them downloadable in .deb format like google chrome because then could be installed without internet even on non windows pc without tricks and stuff like when someone collect the best util windows installer on cd for beign easy to reinstall everything
shadowvzs
shadowvzs

Back to top Go down

Post by BlB Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:21 am

It is done in the proposed list when it is possible...

Keep in mind that software developers themselves did not propose always such deb (or, for instance, rpm for the other kind distros) packages. They either propose that or ppa-s (Personal package archives) OR(!!!) zip / tar.gz (or tar.bz2) archives as after their extracting contains special files, which YOU have to run (please see the software section with the links how to open/run ... files )!

Additionally, the installed in such way software, won't be always updated - that depends from the design of software itself. For instance MS Office is updated itself, Acrobat reader too. But other programs - not.

That is why some people use PPAs - installed in such way software constantly is updated via Internet without the need you to check periodically the software web page. The process is the same as the Windows' update. However, there is one important drawback - your PC is directly connected/opened with/to the 'software server' of developer. This gives the possibility if the developer is not 'good guy' to infect your PC. Hopefully, the developers are OK:)

ANOTHER possibility is you just to use the software center of the Linux distribution. For instance Ubuntu software center, OR Lubuntu software center and so on. From there you easily will install any software. However, keep in mind that the software from such soft center is one to two versions older than the same taken from the web page of developer. This is done due to software stability...I suppose...

IN THE NEAR FUTURE (within 1 to 1.5 years), the software in Ubuntu will be installed just as the software in Android OS - from one software center and always will be up to date(please make a search via Google/DuckDuckGo and so on about one click packages or for snappy ones). This, I suppose, will be implemented/adopted in the other distros.
THIS will eliminate the need from PPAs.

ALSO....when you will change the distribution deb(or rpm) files(packages) are almost useless...
That is why it is better to go to the web page of software developer and to see if there is another package different from deb/rpm one.

Regards!
BlB
BlB

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowvzs Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:01 pm

BlB wrote:
ALSO....when you will change the distribution deb(or rpm) files(packages) are almost useless...
That is why it is better to go to the web page of software developer and to see if there is another package different from deb/rpm one.
Regards!

well who have no internet connection kinda dead in software installation (have software where only ppa option exist for higher ubuntu versions).... so linux without internet useless because of this unlike windows where just write out usefull program to dvd or put to a folder and anytime installable :/
(yea i understand most of pc connected, but not everyone)
shadowvzs
shadowvzs

Back to top Go down

Post by BlB Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:38 pm

I think you are a bit confused. But this is normal as a beginning.

When you install Windows you also have to have an Internet connection - from win7 to win10.

The same is for Linux OSes. This is that because of need of a newer drivers for your PC if there is of course. Why? Because every day or two or week you have irregular updating of Linux OSes i.e. when you have some new package which fix some problem in Linux OS.

Is that bad???

When you have to install some win program how you find it?
The same is for Linus OSes.

Even you have in every particular Linux OS a software center which facilitates the search for some certain need/software. In windows you have not such full possibility. Also as I set above you can download the program from the web page (when is possible) listed in my list (which is very large and contains many programs for different kinds of needs).

So if one particular program is not supplied as a deb package/file then you will find another which is similar but it is supplied as a deb file.

ALSO what you will do when you have a new version of some particular program???

rpm packages are used in another Linux OS - Red Hat. In principle you have about 10 basic Linux OSes in which are used as executive files(i.e. exe files in Win) either deb files, or rpm files, or something else BUT most popular are exactly rpm and deb files. Additionally there are also java executive files and some more which are listed in my BIG fat list:)

ChaletOS is just a branch/fork of Ubuntu Linux OS but Fedora/CentOS are branches/forks of Red Hat.
Please accept Linux OSes as a LEGO i.e many small pieces/modules which can build many different things - a car, a jip, a truck and so on and their engine is Linux core/kernel. The core of Windows is named NT but windows can not be as Linux OSes.

I can discuss a lot for Linux positives BUT please let's to be later:) Nobody wants to read long expalnations..Smile

Regards!
BlB
BlB

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowvzs Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:19 am

BlB wrote:I think you are a bit confused. But this is normal as a beginning.

When you install Windows you also have to have an Internet connection - from win7 to win10.

not exactly, well i am not win 7+ expert but for installation and drivers don't need any internet connection (atleast i did without cable was plugged in, well say better, i installed win7 without it know the laptop ethernet driver) and can go where have net, download drivers to stick then plug to fresh win 7 and install it, ex. you have pc at home to your parents who's don't use internet, u can bring stuff on usb and install to them and they dont need internet connection just for able to use x or y program.

i have no ideea about win 10, never tryed, i used mostly the old windos (favorite was the 98 then XP), tryed 8.1 but i disliked so i can't talk about new windows but old one was very nice but windows (and other software maker company) not support them thats why i moved to linux, only this less useability for offline users is kinda bad, i understand package stuff in few driver case etc but portable programs is very nice stuff.

(btw alot people talk about privacy, could be better privacy than not useing internet hehe other side i really like the ideea when older peoples can use pc without must pay for internet)

to be honest, i allways disliked the linux before i tryed because on my head was image about server linux from school, but since i tryed the desktop linux i like it very much and i would say its ideal OS after Win XP, only annoying this portable program stuff, less annyoing than drivers because i don't use newest hardware, old hardware was supported by every linux what i tryed yet so its nice.
shadowvzs
shadowvzs

Back to top Go down

Post by BlB Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:02 am

Dear friends,

Just a moment ago I've updated for a last time the "List of Useful Programs" (please see the Dropbox link above)
I think I've given the best and I don't think that there is something considerably, which I missed.

So, happy holidays!
Best Regards
BlB
BlB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum