Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awesome.. but why?

3 posters

:: Forum :: Your Story

Go down

Awesome.. but why? Empty Awesome.. but why?

Post by duderinoHD Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi there,

I've used Arch for almost two years now. A few Weeks ago, my SSD crashed and i had to install all over again.

Since i like to test and play around with my PC and Linux, i set up Arch and ChaletOS 16.04.02. It just worked. No need to spend a lot of time screwing around in different configfiles, installing XFCE and reading the latest Updatelogs for Package-Pinning.

Awesome.  I don't understand yet how it upgrading works without RR, but i'm sure i can get behind that somehow Razz.

But again: Awesome Work and a big Thank you.

(Ps: I'm living in germany, so I hope my English is at least readable. I've never had it at school, so i had to teach it by myself reading the Arch-Wiki and watching Breaking Bad. I'm sorry guys).
duderinoHD
duderinoHD

Back to top Go down

Awesome.. but why? Empty Re: Awesome.. but why?

Post by AlanT Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:50 am

Chalet is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian Unstable. Ubuntu (or more precisely ChaletOS uses 1.aptitude, 2. apt-get and 3. apt to get software. Updates can be done automatically with the update manager the CLI or Synaptic (or if you don't mind slow and really like eyecandy you can use software center). At it's heart, instead of using RPM files it uses .deb files which can be inflated to create binaries.

If you have questions let us know and enjoy using ChaletOS.

AlanT --User
AlanT
AlanT

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:33 pm

good answer AlanT
James Tobin
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by duderinoHD Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:43 pm

AlanT wrote:Chalet is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian Unstable. Ubuntu (or more precisely ChaletOS uses 1.aptitude, 2. apt-get and 3. apt to get software. Updates can be done automatically with the update manager the CLI or Synaptic (or if you don't mind slow and really like eyecandy you can use software center). At it's heart, instead of using RPM files it uses .deb files which can be inflated to create binaries.

If you have questions let us know and enjoy using ChaletOS.

AlanT --User

Hi AlanT,

thanks for your reply. I was able to figure out how it works with Software like.. lets say... um... Clementine (Nice Player btw.).

But how does it work, if i want to go from ChaletOS 16.04 to.. i dunno.. 18.04 for example? Can i just come up with "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade"?
I don't think so, because Debian/Ubuntu don't has that Rolling Release Model. I also found a really nice Ubuntu themed Wiki written in German, i think i have to read into all that Stuff again.

duderinoHD
duderinoHD

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:26 am

the next LTS Ubuntu release will be 18.04, you are right on there. In 2018 you will run

Code:
sudo do-release-upgrade

be sure you run sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade b4 doing this.
James Tobin
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlanT Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:23 am

James Tobin wrote:the next LTS Ubuntu release will be 18.04, you are right on there. In 2018 you will run

Code:
sudo do-release-upgrade

be sure you run sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade b4 doing this.

Thanks, James.
duderinoHD, as to upgrading, in Ubuntu it is every six months April and October. With Debian, it is a rolling release. The main release is based on Debian Stable. ChaletOS uses the LTS (Long Term Support) version. Upgrades occur with the expiration of the release every 2 years with the new LTS Kernel. As to Why Ubuntu uses the unstable (cutting edge not experimental) branch of Debian instead of the stable (known to work) branch, I don't know you'll have to ask Ubuntu.

The correct format for upgrading on the CLI is either as shown above. or
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
As James said above always run an update before upgrading.

Last edited by AlanT on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
AlanT
AlanT

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:55 am

for most people I would recommend do-release-upgrade because the dist-upgrade is more difficult. Both work though.
James Tobin
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Forum :: Your Story

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum