Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to change the default WM to GNOME

2 posters

Go down

How to change the default WM to GNOME Empty How to change the default WM to GNOME

Post by Artemis Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:42 pm

Hello there,

I've been using ChaletOS for some time, but I don't like the COS base desktop manager (XFCE). How can I change it to GNOME ?
Since I found nothing elsewhere, I'm asking here.

COS build x64

If you need more info, feel free to ask !
Artemis
Artemis

Back to top Go down

How to change the default WM to GNOME Empty Re: How to change the default WM to GNOME

Post by BroDan Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:18 am

Hi Artemis,

The only way that I personally know to do this is to add the GNOME desktop to your existing system. Be aware that this will also give you double applications in some areas; such as, you'll have two file managers. That won't be a problem...just extra applications.

I once added XFCE to an LXDE desktop. Then I removed the LXDE desktop and was left with only XFCE. It was just an experiment to see if it would work; therefore, I don't know how updates may have been affected. I did receive updates, but I only used that experimental system for a couple of weeks.

If you want to add the GNOME desktop, you have two choices...

1. Open your terminal and enter the following command...

sudo apt-get install gnome

2. Open the Synaptic Package Manager, search for gnome, and install it.

Just to remind you, you will have 2 desktop environments, and you will have some double applications.

If you choose to install GNOME, after you've installed it, log out, and you can choose which desktop environment to use at the Log-in screen. In the upper right hand corner of the screen, click on the icon that has XF on it (I think that's what's on it). That will open a drop down list, and you can choose Gnome from it. Then log in.
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

How to change the default WM to GNOME Empty Re: How to change the default WM to GNOME

Post by Artemis Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:03 am

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was that easy to change the DE. Now everything works fine, thanks !
Artemis
Artemis

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:36 am

Glad it worked for you!
BroDan
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down