Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tried the rest, settled for the best :-)

2 posters

:: Forum :: Your Story

Go down

Tried the rest, settled for the best :-) Empty Tried the rest, settled for the best :-)

Post by Sotelach Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:37 am

After what seems like 10 years or more of trying almost all linux variations, I came across ChaletOS by chance when on youtube looking for a fix for another distro. I think it was youtube poster ¨Spatry¨ that had made a review of the distro and being nosey took a look at it. Really liked the look of it and found others had good things to say about it too. That was it, hooked!!

I commend the developers on their clean, easy to navigate and cool looking distro. I simply want to use my Linux distro, not have to tweak it to the hilt before it is really useable or it looks great. Of course, ChaletOS is very customisable for those that wish to change things.

Keep up the great work from a very appreciative user.
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Tried the rest, settled for the best :-) Empty Re: Tried the rest, settled for the best :-)

Post by 2tuff Mon May 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Yes the customization especially for an XFCE distro is very good with ChaletOS. I must admit I do like the KDENeon distro.
2tuff
2tuff

Back to top Go down

Tried the rest, settled for the best :-) Empty Re: Tried the rest, settled for the best :-)

Post by Sotelach Mon May 02, 2016 6:36 pm

2tuff wrote:Yes the customization especially for an XFCE distro is very good with ChaletOS.  I must admit I do like the KDENeon distro.

To be completely honest, I have never taken to any KDE version of Linux. I have tried but they have never felt comfortable for some reason for the user. We are all different ;-)
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tuff Mon May 02, 2016 6:45 pm

Sotelach wrote:
2tuff wrote:Yes the customization especially for an XFCE distro is very good with ChaletOS.  I must admit I do like the KDENeon distro.

To be completely honest, I have never taken to any KDE version of Linux. I have tried but they have never felt comfortable for some reason for the user. We are all different ;-)

I agree but until I tried to latest KDENEON I always seemed to quickly find bugs with KDE but recently it seemed pretty damn good.  KDE is all about looks and trickery on the screen which usually adds a delay in your actions compared to how fast you can work with XFCE.  I must admit I liked playing with the new KDENEON and could see myself utilizing it but this ChaletOS gives a similar feel and look with a quicker action and less resources etc.  I do like Voyager Linux which is also XFCE but its taskbar is poor in comparison to ChaletOS but I must admit Voyager has been rock solid for me so far and like ChaletOS it's not very well known. I'm not one for being part of the herd and so I look for what is good and works not just what is popular and yes I was an original Crunchbang user and loved it.
2tuff
2tuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sotelach Mon May 02, 2016 7:19 pm

2tuff wrote:I do like Voyager Linux which is also XFCE but its taskbar is poor in comparison to ChaletOS but I must admit Voyager has been rock solid for me so far and like ChaletOS it's not very well known.  I'm not one for being part of the herd and so I look for what is good and works not just what is popular and yes I was an original Crunchbang user and loved it.

I too used Voyager for a little while and quite liked it but ended up feeling it was trying too hard to be something and could not work out what that actually was. It felt disjointed for some reason. I also used ElementaryOS for a little longer than that but found ChaletOS gave me extra stability and a cleaner user experience.

Personaly I like an OS that looks clean, is stable and customizable without being tinkerers heaven. I do not wish or have the time to ¨Learn¨ a whole new system, it just needs to work. Moving the task bar from the bottom to the top and then adding docky is all I have done.

I never doubt ChaletOS when it is loading on my PC and that counts for a lot.
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tuff Tue May 03, 2016 9:31 am

Well right now I have to use Voyager as it's the best distro that works with the HDAJackRetask as most others won't work for me including ChaletOS. I looked at ElementaryOS but it seemed buggy to me and I didn't like the feel of it and I hate Gnome looking systems and their vile menus/desktop looks including the vile new over-hyped software installer on Ubuntu (useless and prefer terminal or synaptic).
2tuff
2tuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sotelach Wed May 04, 2016 12:33 am

2tuff wrote:Well right now I have to use Voyager as it's the best distro that works with the HDAJackRetask as most others won't work for me including ChaletOS.  I looked at ElementaryOS but it seemed buggy to me and I didn't like the feel of it and I hate Gnome looking systems and their vile menus/desktop looks including the vile new over-hyped software installer on Ubuntu (useless and prefer terminal or synaptic).

Voyager is Xubuntu based also, could you not deploy the HDAJackRetask somehow yourself? or ask Dejan at ChaletOS if he knows a way of doing it?

Is this of any use alsa tools gui - xenial (16.04)

or this reconfiguring hdajackretask after a clean install of 16.04
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tuff Wed May 04, 2016 12:52 pm

Sotelach wrote:
2tuff wrote:Well right now I have to use Voyager as it's the best distro that works with the HDAJackRetask as most others won't work for me including ChaletOS.  I looked at ElementaryOS but it seemed buggy to me and I didn't like the feel of it and I hate Gnome looking systems and their vile menus/desktop looks including the vile new over-hyped software installer on Ubuntu (useless and prefer terminal or synaptic).

Voyager is Xubuntu based also, could you not deploy the HDAJackRetask somehow yourself? or ask Dejan at ChaletOS if he knows a way of doing it?

Is this of any use

I'd seen those options before but I'd never tried just selecting what was needed and then telling the software to install to boot.  I tried this and now I can achieve my needs so the solution is as simple as not trying it out there and then and instead waiting for a fresh booting to bring about the change.  So thanks for getting me back into giving it a shot.  Now I've decided that Voyager is the XFCE distribution for me since playing with both Voyager and ChaletOS.  I feel with Voyager that everything is rock solid and just works, I've come across a few little niggles with ChaletOS and at times it feels clunky like delayed now and then.  I think I might even try the KDENeon again and get it looking how I want it as I did like it when I tried it but like before I couldn't get the HDAJackReset to work but It will now.  What I like about KDENeon is that like ChaletOS you have the software launched boxes like in Windows but also these boxes in KDE open up like Windows and allow you to even pause/play media etc.  You might like to try the KDENeon as it seems you've not taken an interest in KDE for a while and see the latest wizardy in the newest version of KDE whilst remembering you can change the menu system by right clicking and selecting the alternative.
2tuff
2tuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sotelach Wed May 04, 2016 11:44 pm

2tuff wrote:I'd seen those options before but I'd never tried just selecting what was needed and then telling the software to install to boot.  I tried this and now I can achieve my needs so the solution is as simple as not trying it out there and then and instead waiting for a fresh booting to bring about the change.  So thanks for getting me back into giving it a shot.  Now I've decided that Voyager is the XFCE distribution for me since playing with both Voyager and ChaletOS.  I feel with Voyager that everything is rock solid and just works, I've come across a few little niggles with ChaletOS and at times it feels clunky like delayed now and then.  I think I might even try the KDENeon again and get it looking how I want it as I did like it when I tried it but like before I couldn't get the HDAJackReset to work but It will now.  What I like about KDENeon is that like ChaletOS you have the software launched boxes like in Windows but also these boxes in KDE open up like Windows and allow you to even pause/play media etc.  You might like to try the KDENeon as it seems you've not taken an interest in KDE for a while and see the latest wizardy in the newest version of KDE whilst remembering you can change the menu system by right clicking and selecting the alternative.

There is normally a way of working around these things. Obviously different PC´s perform differently with different OS´s, for me, I have never experienced any clunk or delay you speak of.
At least you now know that ChaletOS will work for you and it is there when you decide to return.
Sotelach
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Post by 2tuff Sat May 07, 2016 10:10 am

Sotelach wrote:
2tuff wrote:I'd seen those options before but I'd never tried just selecting what was needed and then telling the software to install to boot.  I tried this and now I can achieve my needs so the solution is as simple as not trying it out there and then and instead waiting for a fresh booting to bring about the change.  So thanks for getting me back into giving it a shot.  Now I've decided that Voyager is the XFCE distribution for me since playing with both Voyager and ChaletOS.  I feel with Voyager that everything is rock solid and just works, I've come across a few little niggles with ChaletOS and at times it feels clunky like delayed now and then.  I think I might even try the KDENeon again and get it looking how I want it as I did like it when I tried it but like before I couldn't get the HDAJackReset to work but It will now.  What I like about KDENeon is that like ChaletOS you have the software launched boxes like in Windows but also these boxes in KDE open up like Windows and allow you to even pause/play media etc.  You might like to try the KDENeon as it seems you've not taken an interest in KDE for a while and see the latest wizardy in the newest version of KDE whilst remembering you can change the menu system by right clicking and selecting the alternative.

There is normally a way of working around these things. Obviously different PC´s perform differently with different OS´s, for me, I have never experienced any clunk or delay you speak of.
At least you now know that ChaletOS will work for you and it is there when you decide to return.

I tried KDENeon but I decided against using it long-term as it seemed slow, showed up a bug and I couldn't make it look quite how I wanted. I'm back to my rock solid Voyager and I've made it look just how I wanted and I've not had a single issue with it. Yes ChaletOS is of much worth to a lot of people if/when they find out about the distro which shouldn't be long now its up on Distrowatch. My advice would be for people to take a look at both Voyager and ChaletOS if they want a XFCE desktop experience. I've gone through a lot of distros trying to see what would work for me and Voyager stood out especially as it always worked with the HDAJackRetask without just 'installing on boot.' Isn't it interesting how the unknown distributions tend to be better than most of the well known distros? Yes it does seem like some distributions dislike some computers more than others but for this laptop Voyager works very well. Overall I don't believe Linux is worth using on a laptop for heavy computing use since I've not come across one which doesn't soon fan up and overheat not to mention battery issues. I use my Linux just for watching a film or tv programme when I go to bed so I can reverse the broken headphone socket by using the mic which I cannot do on Windows 8.1. I'd love to completely cross over to Linux for all my needs but HP laptops are no good. I did completely dump Windows 7 and moved over to Zorin OS when I was using my older desktop and that was a good experience. If I made up another desktop which may be soon then I would definitely move over the Linux on a permanent basis as I detest Microsoft (although I admit Windows 8.1 is rock solid and ultra reliable). I'm certainly never going to be a Windows 10 user and that's for sure, I hate the nightmare.
2tuff
2tuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Forum :: Your Story

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum